Sunday, October 02, 2005

This is getting very 'spensive!

Now that I can see the light at the end of the tunnel, I can also see that I'm going to need a pile of cash to make it all the way out of the tunnel. I've been trying to do this as affordably as possible, but even if you get a great deal for something at $100, if you have to buy ten things, it adds up fast.

One way I'm saving is by getting a DIY sofa. Hey, my motto is DIY or die trying, so I might as well carry it through to my furniture.



Here's what I still need to buy:


  • Bookshelves for the living room (I found a set for $55 that I ignored because I figured they were cheap, but I'm going to go try to find them again. Cheap is good!)

  • Bed frame (I've got my eye on one from Overstock.com that I'll probably order in the next few days. They're running a 10% off sale and my job has a program that gives me 5% off. I wonder if I can combine the two offers? Shipping's only a buck, too.)

  • Mattress (I'm thinking Memory Foam mattress because it can be rolled up--I have learned my lesson from this move, which I did ENTIRELY by myself. I will not buy anything I can't move on my own.)

  • Box spring (need to hunt online for this; locally they appear to run about $300)

  • Dining room table (Overstock again)

  • Chairs (no idea)

  • Sideboard or buffet (I may have to wait on this one)

  • Some kind of shelves for next to the fireplace


That is all going to add up pretty quickly. I think I'll just close my eyes when my next credit card statement comes in. If I don't look at it, it goes away, right?

2 comments:

Old Man Rich said...

Bookshelves? Bricks & planks. Cheap, trendy (in a 70 cheesy kind of way)and easily fitted, removed or restyled.

Gardenia said...

Well that's always an option. Doesn't quite fit the decorating scheme I've been working on, but if dollars run too short ...

 
design by suckmylolly.com