Monday, October 03, 2005

Not in your average tool belt.

When I was cutting the laminate flooring, I was pretty much doing it by eyeball. (An aside: someone on NPR this weekend identified "eyeball" as her favorite verb. It took me a minute too.) Eyeballing a crosswise cut on a 7.44 inch board is not much of a problem, especially when you take into consideration the 1/4" space that you're supposed to leave for the floor to expand.

Eyeballing a lengthwise cut on a 44.7 inch board is a different story, however. Especially when, for reasons unknown and best not contemplated--it looks FINE--the last row that you are cutting lengthwise is wider at the top then the bottom by about three inches.

I realized quickly that scratching in an approximate line with my carpet knife wasn't going to work. Neither was my ballpoint pen. Oh for a china crayon from chemistry class! Oh for a carpenter's pencil! But alas, I had none of these items. All I could think of was a Sharpie marker, but those are all up in the attic. Somewhere. And then it hit me:

Eyeliner.

Pros: makes a nice dark line; sawdust adheres to it so you don't obscure the line while cutting; wipes off easily if your hand slips while tracing; and most of all, easily available.

Cons: at $7 for two to three inches of usable pencil, it's a little pricey--but then you are supposed to replace your eyeliner every three months, so think of it as an economical way to recycle.

0 comments:

 
design by suckmylolly.com