Sunday, October 02, 2005

The light at the end of the tunnel.

Yesterday was a major day! The dumpster was finally emptied, so I took down all the accumulated bits of DIY refuse that I've been creating for the last week (paint cans, rollers, brushes that I'm too lazy to wash, the bathroom sink, the bathroom linoleum, ripped up carpet, etc) and I stripped the rest of the carpet out of the living room and took that down too. (Sorry, neighbors, for filling up the bin so quickly.)

I also put a few more things in the attic. Have I talked about my attic? I love my attic. I love having an attic, and most of all I love that my attic is reached through a trap door in the ceiling. I have always wanted a trap-door attic! The ladder is a little dubious, but it's held up to the three hundred or so times I've climbed up and down it this month, so I guess it's okay. Actually, the attic ladder is on my list of things to upgrade at some point.

I spent the rest of yesterday doing the floor in the living room. It was a BEAST trying to get around the fireplace, but I did it. It looks amazing! I need to finish up the farthest strip (where every piece needs to be cut lengthwise), and then it's done!

Well, done except for the trim work. I need to make a decision about the moldings. I saved the old moldings, which are very dark, dribbled in paint (mostly not by me) and a little broken (by me when removing them and taking out the nails). I could paint them and reuse them and buy what I need from Home Depot to replace the broken bits. Or I could order all new. I haven't decided yet. Neither option seems like fun. Maybe this is where I flex my other DIY muscle: Dial It Yourself. I could call someone to do this part for me. (Somehow I doubt that will be the choice.)

0 comments:

 
design by suckmylolly.com