Saturday, January 16, 2010

Progress Report

Thanks to 11/2 Kettle One dirty martinis last night, I didn't finish putting the bed together. I did, however, discover that my bedroom is big enough to hold two queen beds, one of which is under construction.

I haven't built furniture for a while, and I'd forgotten that I actually like doing it. Yes, it's challenging and messy and time consuming and yes the directions can be obscure (these are actually pretty good, but still). But I get satisfaction from putting the puzzle together. Not to mention I will actually have a bed when I'm done.

Also on the agenda for this weekend: table salvage. I snagged a big, beautiful table out of the loading dock of my building. People ditch their unwanted furniture here and the garbage men come and break it up and haul it away. Honestly it makes me ill to see so much waste. I understand that not everyone wants a used couch or a giant media console. But to me it's disgraceful that this furniture isn't hauled away to someone who can use it. Maybe someday I'll start an organization to do something like that--it's going on my list of things to do.

But in the short term, I have personally snagged three tables from the clutches of oblivion. The first is a Crate & Barrel children's table that needs a little TLC--I plan to sand it down and stain it and use it as...well, not sure what yet.  The second table--originally from Ikea I think, but big and sturdy--is serving as my desk. And the third table is the real find. It's a heavy, solid, dark wood, 4'x3' dining room table that had to cost more than I paid for...well I don't like to pay a lot for things, so that's not a good analogy. But it's a beautiful table, with the exception of a heat stain on the top--trivets, people, trivets.

I already have a dining room table (the one I bought for the condo in Connecticut, which I love), so I've ordered coffee table legs and I'm going to convert the big table to my coffee table. Of course I'll save the legs in case I ever want to turn it back into a dining table. Know where the decorative arrangement is going to go?

0 comments:

 
design by suckmylolly.com