Thursday, September 08, 2005

D. I. Why?

So I shopped online for my flooring today, and I ordered some samples that will be here tomorrow. I'm really hoping I like the one that is $.99 a square foot. What a deal! Of course I'm going to use laminate, or click-flooring, as I call it.

However, thinking about the floor made me realize that I'll need to remove the shoe moldings, so I went to the Po and got a "Wonder Bar." (Very clever name, I think! Not sure how much it does for the bust, though.) This is a prying tool. I set to work on my moldings when I got home, and I learned that this is also a dent making tool. Drywall was not meant to be pried apart from its baseboards. Sigh. Everything is tedious.

I pulled the molding off of one of the unpainted walls, patched the dents and holes, and while that was drying, I pulled the molding off one of the painted walls. This was much harder, because there was some kind of strip of carpet tack in the way. I'm not sure what it was, but it seemed to be a piece of 1" wood with about ten thousand nails sticking up to hold the carpet in place. I only got scratched a few times.

So now that the moldings are starting to come off, I realize that I will probably not be able to use quarter round moldings or whatever they're called. Since the drywall has never been painted, it's probably always going to look funny, so it probably needs to be covered up. Bummer. Twice the price for those moldings. On the other hand, I've been secretly fantasizing about crown moldings so if I buy them at the same time, they'll match. I'm also trying to be careful with the stuff I'm pulling off . . . maybe I can just paint or refinish that. One piece is broken, but maybe I can match it and put it back on. Hey, there's a plan.

Today I've definitely been asking myself why I'm doing this all myself. I think I need to see faster progress. Next up: order the floors and the kitchen window. Oh, and I need to figure out if I'm going to take out the cabinets in the kitchen to remove the linoleum. Something tells me to buy a carpet knife and cut around it, right?

0 comments:

 
design by suckmylolly.com